professional dog groomer
Pet groomers shampoo, clip and groom dogs, cats and other pets to improve and maintain their hygiene, comfort and appearance.
Answer inquiries from the public
- Schedule appointments and record owner information
- Record each pet's name, sex, age, breed and disposition, and any information about health problems
- Discuss grooming requirements and desired styles with pet owners
- Select appropriate shampoos and conditioners for different skin and coat types
- Bathe, Cut, Comb, Style and Blow-dry pets' coats
- Be able to trim nails
- Clean pets' ears
- Suppress anal glands if required
- Maintain grooming equipment.
This is physically demanding work that may involve:
- Restraining animals
- Lifting and carrying animals and cages weighing up to 40lbs.
- Repetitive movements
- Being bitten or scratched.
Some evening or weekend work may be required to cater to the needs of pet owners who cannot bring their pets in for grooming on weekdays.
The work also involves:
- Getting dirty or wet
- Being exposed to unpleasant odors
- Being exposed to insect pests such as fleas, ticks, lice and mites.
Skills & Abilities
- Be physically fit and in good health
- An interest in working wiht dogs
- The ability to work with them and a willingness to clean up after them
- Artistic interest in grooming styles
- The ability to maintain control but at the same time be gentle, quiet and patient with animals
- The ability to deal with pet owners tactfully and gain their trust.
They should enjoy having clear rules and guidelines for their work and caring for animals.
This is an employed position with wages vary depending on experience of applicant.
If interested, please send us some photos of your work along with an application.
**All chosen Applicants will provide a police clearance. See link for details**